Day One - Arrival in Birmingham


On the Road Again


First of all, let me just point out the obvious. I have obtained access to the internet despite the obstacle of not being in Memphis and not having a laptop.

OK, now that this is out of the way, let me get on with it.

Oh, the excitement never ends. 4 1/2 hours to Birmingham in the wrong SUV. Yes, Enterprise Rental Cars in Cordova (or was it Bartlett) does not often give you the car you reserved. No, they try to substitute whatever is in the lot. Did you reserve a Town Car? No problem, we have a Dodge Neon available.

Yeah, fuck you, too. There is no leg room in this truck and we reserved a damned Ford Expedition FOR A GOOD REASON.

So we're here at last. Apparently the road between Memphis and Birmingham will never be finished. For some reason they want everyone rerouted through major metropolises like Jasper and Carbon Hill for all eternity. Either that or some 'favored' company took the state money for building the new road and then high-tailed it out of the country. Either scenario is equally likely.

OK, but I'm here at the hotel anyway. It doesn't really matter which hotel, so I'm not telling you. (Yeah, take that you damned internet psycho stalkers!)

My room is wrong. One king bed does not equal 2 double beds, but they apparently didn't think I would notice the difference. Perhaps they are accustomed to only having stupid customers? Also, the ice machine and elevators are just outside my door. Lovely. I'm so happy. How convenient for me!

And my neighbor, the one whose TV backs up to my wall behind my bed, likes to listen to it loud.

Do you really not care that I know you're watching THAT? Those movies don't even have scripts most of the time.

And to top off my evening, I've discovered in route that none of us have any idea when we are supposed to be at the office tomorrow, exactly where we are supposed to be in the office, and what we are here to do. Also, the new boss was yelling at us over the telephone right before we headed out to come here. I'm not sure why.

Oh, and one of the members of our newly formed team just quit today and didn't come with us.

Other than that, I am alive and planning to sit in my room and read. Which means I'll probably end up channel surfing all night long.

Unless this POS hotel computer has Instant Messaging on it, in which case I'll be spending my entire evening Instant Messaging people.
You have read this article with the title Day One - Arrival in Birmingham. You can bookmark this page URL http://thebohemianbunny.blogspot.com/2005/08/day-one-arrival-in-birmingham.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...