Princess of Lies


When I was in college a girl named Angie Downs went around the Baptist Student Union spreading lies about various couples. She would say, “I’m so worried about [insert target here]. I want you to pray for him/her. It’s horrible, but I can’t tell you why.” She’d sucker people in to get them to ask what was so terrible. What could possibly make Angie so upset that she couldn't tell them why they needed to pray for this person? Then she’d say something like, “don’t tell anyone this, but he’s beating her.” She went around to several churches doing this, too, always lying about a couple that went there. Domestic violence was her favorite, although she had other weapons in her arsenal, as well (she's sleeping around on him, she's pregnant, he's beating her, etc.)

One night, the very same week that my fiancée of 2 years, Tiffany, had dumped me for an asshole that she had met at work, Angie approached me. I only knew Angie because I had met her through Tiffany, who found her to be highly annoying, manipulative, and vindictive. I was sitting in the BSU lobby, highly upset and depressed, talking to my friends. I was an emotional wreck and a perfect sucker in my current frame of mind. Angie told me that she was terribly worried about Tiffany. But she said she couldn't tell me why even though it was really, really horrible. She waited until I was completely freaking out before saying that Tiffany’s new boyfriend, Ryan, was beating her.

I fell for it completely. I went nuts and was headed out to where they both worked to kill the guy (I had a permit and a pistol both on me at the time and Angie knew this.) A good friend of mine, Rodney, tried to physically hold me down to stop me from killing the guy. At the last minute my brain flickered a little and I began to remember that Angie Downs is a chronic malicious liar.

I called Tiffany and asked her about what Angie had said. "Is he hitting you?"

Tiffany got extremely upset and said it was a big, fat lie. Then she called Angie and said, “if you don’t shut the hell up about me and anyone connected with me I’ll tell everyone you know about the fact that you’re currently living with your boyfriend Michael and how last month you told me you think you might be pregnant by him.

Angie was dependent on the fact that her targets were always located in church or some other religious organization, so this information would seriously hurt her credibility. She nearly shit herself.

"I won't ever talk about you again, I swear," Angie lied.

Then she immediately started spreading the rumor that I had been beating Tiffany and that this was the real reason Tiffany broke up with me. A girl I had just made a date with, Anna Andre, broke it off with me because of the lie. She was even afraid of me. I had never seen Anna afraid of anyone before.

Angie then disappeared, but before she left she convinced another guy I knew at the BSU, Keith Poe, that a girl he was in love with, named Tyler, was being beat by her boyfriend. Keith went absolutely nuts, as expected, and convinced me to help him beat the guy up. We were just about to head out to ambush the guy when I stopped him and asked, “how do you actually know he’s beating her? Who said he was? Did Tyler tell you this herself or did someone else?”

Once I’d tracked the rumor to Angie I immediately knew it was a lie and told him so. He then gathered the courage to just flat out ask Tyler if the rumor was true. She laughed so hard she nearly fell down and said, ”I’m a blackbelt. I’d kick his ass if he treated me like that.”

It’s really disturbing how easily a person can lie about something like a man beating a woman and convince everyone to attack the accused without hesitation and without any evidence whatsoever, without even bothering to ask the woman herself. I’ll never look at domestic violence and that whole 'violence against women' issue the same way again after meeting Angie. She’s a pathological shit, but she taught me an extremely valuable lesson.

I wish our Senators and judges would learn this one. But politics being the way it is, they probably never will.

You have read this article with the title Princess of Lies. You can bookmark this page URL http://thebohemianbunny.blogspot.com/2005/05/princess-of-lies.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...