Winter in July


Smart Kids

It is hovering around 97 degrees here and with the humidity we have a heat index of 112. I went to the gym last night. When it's really hot like this I don't bother trying to powerlift. I just drop the weight and raise the number of reps and sets. I had a decent workout. Afterwards, I was tired. I showered and went to bed. No time for the computer.

That night I had a dream. I worked for a grocery corporation. Our office didn't have traditional cubicals. No, instead we worked in an area set up as a working grocery story. My desk was in the dairy isle. It was cold in the dairy isle, as you might expect. My boss was lecturing me about stealing from the company. Apparently I had been reaching into the refrigerator behind me each morning and stealing a single egg to eat for breakfast.

He finished his lecture and said he needed to go smoke. I got my coat and went with him.

I don't smoke, but almost everyone I ever worked with does, so I end up at the smoking court a lot.

We went out to the smoking area, which was on a covered back patio much as it is where I work in real life. Behind the office was a large field bordered by pine and fur trees. The grass was yellowish-brown. The sky was gray.

Now in Memphis we have plenty of pine, but there are no large fur trees. I don't know when I ever went somewhere that I saw large fur trees.

While my boss was lighting up I looked out and saw that it had just started to snow. Then the snow turned to ice. Just then my Maine Coon cat came up and started to rub around my ankles before walking off. I went after him, having decided to bring him inside. Being a Maine Coon, my cat loves the snow. He didn't want to come in. I had to follow him around to the front of the building to catch up with him.

The front of the building was the front yard of my parents' house. Some car I didn't recognize was in the driveway and across the street was my best friend's house, just like always. Both of my cats were in the driveway. I had to pick up the Maine Coon, who fought with me, because he hates being picked up and didn't want to go inside. My boss picked up my other cat and we headed inside out of the ice and snow.

Then I woke up.

My pillow was soaked. Not my sheets or my blankets or my mattress, but just the pillow. It wasn't even hot inside the house. But apparently my head was sweating? WTF?!

It was almost time to get up, but not quite. I flipped my pillow and went back to sleep, wondering how it could be so hot outside and yet I was dreaming about the dead of winter and snow.
You have read this article with the title Winter in July. You can bookmark this page URL http://thebohemianbunny.blogspot.com/2005/07/winter-in-july.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...