Loonies On The Path - Oh Deer

It's a bright sunny morning in Memphis, with a cold front sitting on top of us and encouraging us to wrap our coats tightly around ourselves. The sky is clear and blue with only a few clouds. If I didn't have to go to work it would be a beautiful day.

As I was driving to work I had the pleasure of encountering one of those drivers who pulls out in the road even though they see you are coming, and coming much faster than they intend to go. They pull out right in front of you and go slow. When you see an extra lane that you might pass in they speed up. Seeing a utility truck parked up the road in your lane they adjust their speed to exactly match yours so as to assure your death as you crash into the giant immobile truck. And all this they do because why? Because you are passing them. Everyone has encountered this at least once, some jackass who just wants to see another driver die right next to them and directly because of them.

After I pass the Angel of Death I turned onto a small 2-lane road that connects to Trinity. As I was cruising along, listening to Green Day walk alone walk alone, I noticed a deer standing in the trees beside the road.

Now I'm no fool, despite what you might think. I sped around the Angel of Death, but I wasn't about to speed up at the sight of one deer. One deer means several deer and if they're eyeing the road ahead of them it's a sure bet they're crossing. I stopped. A large white truck coming the other way slowed when he saw me and then he saw the deer. One, two, three and finally four adult deer trotted and slid across the cracked and slippery road (Memphis roads are ALWAYS slippery. They don't have to be wet.)

The white truck started to move on slowly. I stayed still, seeing two baby deer still standing back in the trees and now obviously agitated because their mommas had crossed to the other side without them. The white truck crept on by. I began to move slowly onward, too, but I kept my eye on the two baby deer as they began running alongside the road, behind a fence which apparently has a break in it at the spot where the 4 adults crossed. They ran along with me for about a 1/4 mile until they reached the end of the fence and couldn't go any further. I looked back to see what they were going to do as I continued on my way to work.

I wonder if they ever crossed or if their momma's had to go back and get them?
You have read this article with the title Loonies On The Path - Oh Deer. You can bookmark this page URL http://thebohemianbunny.blogspot.com/2005/03/loonies-on-path-oh-deer.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...