Freeware Ain't Free


What the hell does it mean to you when something is listed as 'Freeware?' Does it mean, this software is not available until you buy it? Or does it mean, this software is free to download and use as you please?

I am wrestling with a VBScript file that gives me a totally meaningless error. I can't find anything in the one and only book in the entire building about VBScript (yes, it's mine, by the way) so I need something a little less cryptic than the Japanese message box that pops up complaining about a letter 'b' on line 151, and by the way, there is no letter 'b' on line 151.

Not being the sort to surrender to any damned code problem I Google for shareware, freeware, whateverware to edit and debug VBScript code. I find several. All have prices next to them. WTF? This isn't CompUSA. I Googled 'shareware' and 'freeware' and went to the freeware website for .. you can guess this one ... FREEWARE.

I find one site that offers a debugger for free. It even says next to it 'download and use FREE.' I download it and install it. When I bring it up and try to use it then it says 'disabled until registered.'

And how do you register? You guessed it, you BUY it. So, it isn't freeware at all. I highly doubt this company is going to toss me a corporate Visa card so I can register some freeware to debug a VBScript file for them, and unless they do I'm just Shit Out Of Luck, 'cause freeware ain't free no more.
You have read this article with the title Freeware Ain't Free. You can bookmark this page URL http://thebohemianbunny.blogspot.com/2005/03/freeware-ain-free.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...