When Emails Attack - Run for Your Lives!


Someone inadvertently sent out a corporate-wide email which was not intended for everyone.

Someone then responded by hitting 'reply all' and said, "I don't know why I received this. My name is not in the list and I don't think it was meant for me."

'Reply all' means the entire company not only received the erroneous email, but also this response. OK, no big deal. Yet.

But then another rocket scientist decided that they should pipe in as well and let the entire company know that they, too, received the email and do not think they should have. This was immediately followed by 4 more just like it.

Someone then reply-alled "stop replying to this email."

Then another 50 emails came pouring out, all corporate-wide, saying "why did I get this email? I don't think I should have gotten it."

In the midst of all this comes the random "I'm in Luxembourg and I don't know why I got this." Thank you for telling us where you are. This is so very exciting and helpful.

Then another "stop replying to these stupid emails. They are filling up everyone's inbox!"

Do you see where this is going? No? OK, 400 emails later I am still getting these "I don't know why I was sent this" emails, interspersed with "you idiots! stop replying!"

It's like an episode of the 3 Stooges, except with an enormous crowd of stooges from all over the country. And it's still going. No sooner do I delete all the emails then 5 more dump into my inbox. Whee. This is going to continue all day long, like a bad rash that just keeps spreading.

Oh, and just to add to the ongoing excitement, now people are trying to recall their messages. This sends out another email telling everyone in the company that "employee X" wishes to recall their message.

Yes, I'll bet they do. 'Reply-all'ing to the entire company about how you don't understand why you got a corporate-wide message because you are in Butthole, New Jersey makes you look pretty foolish. I'm sure our President, CEO, CIO, and CFO are as thrilled to be receiving these emails as I am. Performance reviews are coming up soon. I'm guessing having your name in the list of individuals who reply-alled to this will reduce your score a bit.
You have read this article with the title When Emails Attack - Run for Your Lives!. You can bookmark this page URL http://thebohemianbunny.blogspot.com/2005/03/when-emails-attack-run-for-your-lives.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...