No More Russian Brides

MOSCOW (Reuters) - A woman set fire to her ex-husband's penis as he sat naked watching television and drinking vodka, Moscow police said on Wednesday.

Asked if the man would make a full recovery, a police spokeswoman said it was "difficult to predict".

The attack climaxed three years of acrimonious enforced co-habitation. The couple divorced three years ago but continued to share a small flat, something common in Russia where property costs are very high.

"It was monstrously painful," the wounded ex-husband told Tvoi Den newspaper. "I was burning like a torch. I don't know what I did to deserve this."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Steph in Australia, my favorite Australian woman in all the world, had just written about her own experiences with domestic violence and abuse. It upset me to read about her being treated that way. On that very same day, the media reported this story, a story of blantant abuse. All we know about this man is that he was sitting in a chair doing nothing when this woman set his genitals on fire. The story is reported as a joke. The glaring contrast struck me. No one cares about this man. The woman will no doubt receive no punishment. There have been numerous other cases similiar to this one in Russia and, much like in America, the women are never punished. Yet if he were a woman and a man did this, we'd be outraged.

And even I, for all of my protests about blatant misandry and sexism, would kill the bastard who abused Steph. Yet if I met this woman who did this to her ex-husband I'd probably just walk past her and do nothing. Well, I'd spit on her, but aside from that ...

So then, what can I say? We treat each other like shit. And then we laugh at men like this who, for all we know, did nothing wrong to anyone. And then we wonder that the world seems to be getting worse every day.


You have read this article divorce / misandry / russia / sexual abuse with the title No More Russian Brides. You can bookmark this page URL http://thebohemianbunny.blogspot.com/2007/08/no-more-russian-brides.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...