What I'm Listening To


Friday night I was in Barnes and Noble spending a fortune on computer books (I really just needed to call Kevin Kline and ask him, but he could quickly get tired of that so I went book shopping instead.) While browsing in the Computer Geek section, not to be confused with the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Geek section, I gradually became aware of the music playing over the sound system, partly because some of it annoyed me and partly because some of it impressed me.

They were playing 5 CDs on a carousel, alternating one song from each CD round and round. One of the CDs was Rod Stewart's new one. I recognized all the songs he does on this new CD, but I don't like his voice much so I wasn't interested. I had already seen him on BBC America trying to promote this new one. It just didn't do it for me.

I'm sorry, but I remember disco and he was Mr. Disco. I can't get past that.

The others were even less interesting to me. Except for this one, which I had never heard before. I had no idea who the artist was, although she reminded me of Shelby Lynne on steroids. Whomever she was she was really good. I wanted that CD.

I went around the store, grabbing Birkenstock girls who worked there and asking them, "how do I find out what the music you guys are playing is?" They immediately took me to the police, I mean, to the music section of the store.

"Where are the CDs you are playing, Mr. Skinny Pimply Boy," I asked the enthusiastic young master of the music department.

"Here they are," he proudly proclaimed . "Which one were you interested in?"

"I don't know which one. It's definitely not Rod Stewart's rendition of Cole Porter. It's blues. Lemme see all of them and I'll probably know who it isn't," I responded as I gently released a quiet, but deadly fart.

Bookstores make me fart a lot. I wrote about this months ago and how I used to wander over to the womyn's studies section before releasing so as not to be rude. I call this my "click event." I have no idea why this bookstore fart attack always happens, but it does and I'm no longer ashamed of it. So many of the books stink anyway and far too many bookstores are quiet and boring. Why not liven things up a bit? I've got a party in my pants and I'm happy to share it.

"This one. I need to hear some samples from this one. I think this is it," I said to him. So he took me to a set of headphones and selected the code for that CD on a keypad.

Yep, that was the one. I bought it along with a fortune in Computer Geek (CG) books.

It was "Hope and Desire" by Susan Tedeschi and I like it. Other than Shelby Lynne (and to be honest, Faith Hill could easily be a blues singer if she wanted) the only music like this that I normally listen to is old stuff, like Ray Charles. But this new one is good. It's strong. I've got it in my truck and I'm cranking it as I drive back and forth to work today.

As I write this a coworker just came in. We were talking and I mentioned this CD to her. She said, "I know her. My husband opened for her a couple of months ago!"

Yep, I kid you not. My coworker is married to a famous blues guitar player and singer. And he knows B.B. King and Susan Tedeschi, too. I think that's pretty cool. But hey, my guitar teacher back in The Day was David Anderson, from the band Brother Kane, and I still get to see him play when I'm visiting my old hometown, for whatever that's worth. I'm really just rambling at this point.
You have read this article with the title What I'm Listening To. You can bookmark this page URL http://thebohemianbunny.blogspot.com/2005/11/what-i-listening-to.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...