Inspired - Being Poor

I discovered this on VDOPrincess' blog. I had to put my two cents in.

I wasn't raised poor. I was raised by a father who grew up poor, only he wasn't poor compared to everyone he knew so he didn't think of himself as poor. In SmallTown, Texas where he grew up everyone lived fairly poor, especially by today's standards. That was all he knew. That's how he lived. So that was how he raised us. All 5 of us.

My Wife wasn't raised poor, but after she left home she was desperately poor while trying to get through college and work at the same time.

So, from all that I have seen and all that I know, here is what I have to say about being poor in America:

Being poor is praying that nothing breaks, especially the car that barely runs, because there isn't any money to fix anything and there isn't ever going to be.

Being poor is dropping out of school so you can work more hours because you have to have that money.

Being poor is not being able to miss work when you're sick and then getting sicker because you never took time off to get well.

Being poor is seeing no light at the end of the tunnel, but knowing the train is coming sooner or later and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

Being poor is eating popcorn for supper because there isn't anything else.

Being poor is skipping lunch even though you're hungry.

Being poor is knowing which cereals are filling and which leave you feeling hungry too soon.

Being poor is stress beyond what you can bear, worry that will not leave you alone, dreams filled with fear, and a stomach forever in a knot.

Being poor is panic attacks.

Being poor is a nervous breakdown.

Being poor is cutting coupons because they're found money, not running the heat even though you're freezing, not running the air even though you're sweating, getting a hardback book for Christmas and thinking it's the best present ever, never buying books in hardback because they cost more, buying clothes because they'll last and not because they look right for you, always getting the cheap gas even though your engine is knocking, standing on your feet all day dealing with obnoxious customers who yell at you for the prices you yourself can't afford to pay, not owning a gun even though a killer lives next door because you can't afford to buy one, paycheck to paycheck, day by day, no more dreams, no hope for tomorrow, no way out, no choice.


--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm on the road all day tomorrow. Another lovely business trip. If I miss Half Nekkid Thursday it's because I'm not there to blog. Hopefully I'll be able to get on that afternoon or night and Friday. If not, try to understand that I have to work and when they send me out of town I can't help it. Sometimes I can get on and sometimes I can't.
You have read this article with the title Inspired - Being Poor. You can bookmark this page URL http://thebohemianbunny.blogspot.com/2005/09/inspired-being-poor.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...