Dead End Programmer

After years of college and still more years programming in C in various versions of the Unix operating system I find my specialty approaching a dead end. Looking out on Monster.com I see more ads for COBOL programmers than C programmers. In fact, I see more ads for just about everything than I see for C programmers.



I had plenty of training in Java, but never got to use it. My rocket scientist boss had other ideas so the training was all for nothing, apparently, as no one is placing ads saying "if you're trained in Java but haven't used it please apply." Nope. No experience, no job. Thanks Sun Microsystems, your classes were great, but I wasted my time it seems.



I'm tired of babysitting someone else's application and holding meetings with people who look at me like I'm an idiot because my speciality isn't Oracle Administration or Unix System Administration, which I've done in the past, but not lately.



By God, if Bill Gates is the devil then I may end up in Hell because I'm studying Visual Basic.NET and Visual C++.NET right now. Actually the Visual C++.NET is right up my alley since I was already trained and somewhat experienced with C++ and OOP. But nothing in Unix is similar to the Visual Studio IDE so I've got to get comfortable enough with that to be able to look a potential employer in the eye and say "I can do it. Give me a damned job. I'm a Microsoft Man!"



Goodbye Unix, or Linux, or Sco, or whatever new trend sweeps the server world. Microsoft is the future as far as I can see and I intend to get on with it.



Funny how this blog ended up. I think I got on to write something about farts or ..., no, it was donkey f---ing. Some girl posted about hot lesbian donkey f---ing and I was going to post about it, but somewhere along the line I just got lost in thought. Stress tends to do that to a person, you know.



You have read this article with the title Dead End Programmer. You can bookmark this page URL http://thebohemianbunny.blogspot.com/2004/08/dead-end-programmer.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...