Oddities of the Country Life

It was late and there was nothing on TV. I needed to do some work on My Wife's car out in the driveway. I got my tools and went out to do a quick fix-it.

It was about 8:30 pm, which is actually 9:30 p.m. except for this damn Daylight Savings Time thing that screws with our clocks.

The sky was crystal clear and I could see all the stars overhead. There are no streetlights around here at all. Aside from a few lights on my neighbors' houses and my light on over the garage, it was pitch black out. All around me was dead silent. There is no traffic noise, no sound of revving engines or skidding tires, no stereos blasting or neighbors shouting, no sirens, no passing trains or diesel trucks, no jet airplanes overhead, no sounds of anything but the cold breeze in the trees.

I pulled my wife's car close to the garage so I could use the light from the garage as well as plug in a droplight and a drill. I set up the lights so I could see what I was doing and then I began to drill.

drill

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR - the electric motor howled.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR - the drill bit began to eat away as I drilled a hole.

And off in the distance, an unmistakable sound began to rise in the night.

AAAARRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!



Wolves were howling.



I have a neighbor who one fine day set up a dog pen. Except it was no ordinary dog pen. The fence around it is at least 8 feet high and it is big. There are 2 or 3 different sections, where dogs can be separated from one another.

Inside the pens are big, healthy, gray wolves with big, yellow eyes that stare out at you as if you are a walking piece of steak passing by on a leisurely stroll through their neighborhood. Oh yes, my Sirloin friend, this is their neighborhood, and don't you ever forget it, especially if you happen to look over and notice the gate to the pens left open.

These wolves, with their keen senses, were howling like mad at the sound of my electric drill whining a full street over from them.

howling wolf photo property of Randy Craig Publishing http://www.rcpublishing.com/



This living out in the country is going to take some getting used to.




Quit that drilling!
You have read this article boondocks / life with the title Oddities of the Country Life. You can bookmark this page URL https://thebohemianbunny.blogspot.com/2007/11/oddities-of-country-life.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...